The University of Manchester campus comprises two main areas: the Sackville Street area, formerly the UMIST campus, and the Oxford Road area, formerly The Victoria University of Manchester campus.
The School of Physics and Astronomy is housed in the Schuster Building on Brunswick Street (building number 54) and in the Alan Turing Building (number 46). The building numbers are given on the map of the University campus (PDF).
Post codes are given for the nearest geographical locations.
- Nearest Post Code: M13 9PY
- Co-ordinates: 53.466651N 2.2308274W
- Grid Ref: SJ 84774 96682
Alan Turing Building
- Postcode for the nearby Citroen car showroom: M13 9TD
- Co-ordinates: 53.468118N 2.2310936W
- Grid Ref: SJ 84756 96845
School of Physics and Astronomy
The University of Manchester
University and car parking spaces are convenient and safe.
Paid public parking is available:
For both the Schuster and Alan Turing buildings:
- Multi-storey car park "B" on Booth Street East
Principal car parks are denoted with a blue "P" icon on the Campus map (PDF).
If you have an appointment with a member of staff they may be able to provide you with a parking permit for the day.
Travel to meetings, lectures, seminars or conferences conveniently and sustainably via one of the university schemes and services:
- Shuttle bus - There are regular shuttle buses to pick up and drop off students at various points around the campus. These are also highlighted on the Campus map (PDF).
- By bike - Bike racks are available outside the main entrances to all of our buildings.
- By Foot – Use online tools such as Walkit or GPS Routes to plan the quickest route.
- Car share – A designated Greater Manchester private group has been established with members from Manchester Metropolitan University, University of Manchester, Central NHS Trust and Royal Northern College of Music.
If you are looking for somewhere to stay near the School for a short visit, Visit Manchester offers a comprehensive guide to transport, hotels, restaurants, events and attractions. See the Visit Manchester Interactive Map to locate nearby accommodation.
For longer-term accommodation, see: