Prof Roger Jones (FInstP, CSci, CPhys, FRSA, FHEA, SMIEEE) - research
My research interests are focused on accelerator physics and in the general area of beam electrodynamics. I have made significant contributions to the understanding of large scale colliders and small semi-portable accelerators. At present I am involved in the simulation, analysis and measurement of collective effects, beam dynamics, wake-fields and higher order mode analysis for CLIC, the LHC, ILC and XFELs. Additional work is being pursued on beam impedance issues for FP420/LHC. Beam dynamics and cavity RF issues for the HIE-Isolde facility at CERN are a developing research interest, together with FFAG impedance RF coupling effects. I am actively collaborating with physicists at the Cockcroft Institute/Daresbury Lab., DESY, CERN and SLAC. My research group at Manchester has a focus on the electrodynamics of wake-fields. However, additional research in my group is actively involved with the beam dynamics and vacuum science of photocathodes.
Recent Peer Reviewed Journal Pubs:
1. R. M. Jones, Wake field Suppression in High Gradient Linacs for Lepton Linear Colliders, Phys. Rev. ST Accel. Beams, In Press, 2009.
2. R. M. Jones, V. A. Dolgashev, and J. W. Wang, Dispersion and energy compensation in high-gradient linacs for lepton colliders, Phys. Rev. ST Accel. Beams 12, 051001 2009, 11pp.
3. R.M. Jones, C.E. Adolphsen, R.H. Miller, J.W. Wang , T. Higo, Influence of fabrication errors on wake function suppression in NC X-band accelerating structures for linear colliders, New J.Phys.11:033013,2009, 13pp.
4. W. Salah, R.M. Jones, J.L. Coacolo, Analysis of space charge fields using lienard-wiechert potentials and the method of images in the RF-free electron laser photoinjectors, doi:10.1016/j.nima.2009.05.188 .
5. W. Salah, R.M. Jones, J.L. Coacolo, Analysis of the transverse kick to beams in low-frequency photoinjectors due to wakefield effects, Nuclear Instruments and Methods in Physics Research Section A: Accelerators, Spectrometers, Detectors and Associated Equipment, Volume 601, Issue 3, 1 April 2009, Pages 264-269.
6. R.M. Jones, C. Adolphsen, Z. Li, J. Wang, Wakefield damping in a pair of X-band accelerators for linear colliders. Phys.Rev.ST Accel. Beams 9:102001, 2006.
7. G. Burt, R.M. Jones, A. Dexter, Analysis of damping requirements for dipole wake-fields in RF crab cavities, IEEE Trans. of Nuclear Sciences, 5-2007.